Protecting your skin from the sun 365 days a year, rain or shine, indoors or out is a skincare non-negotiable! Here’s how (and why) to do it the right way.
- UV RAYS ARE EVERYWHERE UVA/UVB and infrared rays are emitted by the sun and can penetrate through home and car windows. Blue light from devices is also known to damage the skin. You should apply broad spectrum mineral SPF as part of your morning routine. No excuses.
- CHOOSE MINERAL NOT CHEMICAL Zinc Oxide is a natural mineral that acts as a physical block to protect your skin, provides incredible skincare benefits, and is reef safe. I think it’s the best choice out there.
- SPF 50 PA++++ Always choose sunscreen with this rating. It has the highest level of UVA/UVB protection possible and blocks up to 99% of harmful rays.
- THE 3-STRIPE RULE Most people only use 25-50% of the recommended amount of SPF! To prevent user error, I like the 3-stripe method: Apply 3 fingers worth of product to your face, ears, neck and décolleté.
- YOUR LAST SKINCARE STEP Mineral SPF works as a protective physical barrier from the sun and its harmful rays so you should ALWAYS apply it as the last step before makeup.
- FAUX TAN OR NO TAN If you like a sun kissed look, get it from a self-tanner or body bronzer.
- WIDE-BRIMMED HATS Ideally, choose a hat with a 6-inch brim (and UPF50 rating if possible) for extra sun protection of your face/scalp/hair/ears and entire neck.
- BIG SUNGLASSES Sunglasses should be dark, oversized and offer UVA/UVB "Broud Spectrum" protection.
One in 5 people will develop skin cancer in their lifetime. Nurse Nancy recommends a broad spectrum, water resistant SPF 50 PA+++ as the #1 way to prevent skin cancer and premature aging. It's never too late to start protecting your skin.